ConnecT1D Adult Retreat
April 22-23, 2017
Clearwater Resort in Suquamish, Washington!
Has a cupcake ever saved your life? Us too! The 2nd annual ConnecT1D Adult Retreat is all about tapping into a community of people who get you. Come spend a weekend with us as we live it up doing fun activities--all related to promoting social connection and emotional wellness while living with T1D.
The ConnecT1D Adult Retreat is an opportunity for people with type 1 diabetes (T1D) and their partners (T3s) to come together for a weekend retreat in Suquamish, WA (just a ferry ride away from Seattle) to learn, share and connect around the experience of living with T1D. Through humor, compassion and honesty, national and local speakers will lead workshops on a variety of topics addressing the psychological and social aspects of the unique life that is living with this chronic condition. Guest Vendors will share the latest technology, devices, resources, and services in the T1D world and allow hands on opportunities to see the latest T1D management tools.
The two-day ConnecT1D Retreat will be held at the beautiful Clearwater Resort and includes:
- Keynote Speaker, Mike Lawson
Mike Lawson has lived with Type 1 Diabetes for 15 years. Diagnosed during the "Myspace Years," he turned online to find support and advice from others that were dealing with the burden of a chronic condition. He now works as the Senior Director of Programs and Marketing for the Diabetes Hands Foundation - a nonprofit organization working to ensure people touched by diabetes never feel alone.
- Exciting updates on T1D Technology and Research
- Breakout discussion groups (Men's, Women's, and T3s (spouses/partners))
- Evening activities to further connect
- Delicious meals and comfortable rooms in a gorgeous setting
Who can attend this event?
- The Retreat is for "adults living with T1D", which means people over the age of 18 who have type 1 diabetes. Partners and spouses (aka T3s) are also welcome!
Is there a parent program?
- No there is not. However, if you are a parent of a kiddo with T1D, we'd love to hear from you if you'd like to volunteer at this event. Also, ConnecT1D offers Family Camp every fall!
What are you offering for partners/T3s?
- Registered T3s are welcome to attend all workshops and events. There will also be a workshop specifically for T3s that addresses the diabetes-related stresses and issues unique to those who love someone with T1D.
Will you have carb counts and gluten-free/celiac options?
- Yes and yes!
What kind of hotel amenities/goodies are available?
- A bunch of cool stuff! Check out the Clearwater Resort and Casino website
Are both days at the Clearwater Resort & Casino?
- Yes, the entire Retreat will take place at the Clearwater Resort & Casino (which is where the second day of last year's Retreat took place). All workshops and scheduled activities will take place in the Resort building and its grounds, just short walk from the main hotel and casino.
Can I just come for one day?
- This year we are offering a two day option only.
What is the cancellation policy?
- In order to receive full refund, you must cancel by Saturday, March 15th, 2017. No refunds will be administered after that date.
If I don’t stay at the hotel, can you reduce the cost of my registration?
- Unfortunately not.
How do I get there?
Several options: a scenic drive from Tacoma, or via the Washington State Ferry System:
- From the Seattle/Bainbridge Island Ferry: Follow Highway 305 North towards Poulsbo approximately six miles. The Clearwater Casino Resort is located just across the Agate Pass Bridge on the left.
- From the Edmonds/Kingston Ferry: Take highway 104 to Poulsbo. Turn left on Highway 305 and continue south through Poulsbo toward Bainbridge Island. The Clearwater Casino Resort is located just before the Agate Pass Bridge on the right.
From Tacoma: Take Highway 16 West to Highway 3 North towards Poulsbo. Exit at the Highway 305 Bainbridge Island exit. The Clearwater Casino Resort is located just before the Agate Pass Bridge on the right.
When should I get there?
- Check out the ferry schedule
- Be sure to allow enough time to check in and register by 9:30 so you don't miss anything cool!
What if I don’t drive/walk on the ferry?
- Click here to find out about Courtesy Shuttle details from the ferry to the Resort
- Carpooling is encouraged! Join our Facebook page to find a ride.
How does the roommate situation work? What if I want my own room?
- This weekend is all about making connections, and if you don't know anyone you wish to room with who is attending the Retreat, we welcome to find a roomie by posting on our Facebook page. If you already know who you wish to room with, please tell us who that person is on your registration form. If you wish to have your own room, there is an additional fee of $50. Please keep in mind that we only have a certain number of rooms reserved and single room requests will be satisfied on a first-come, first-served basis.
Parking, check-in and registration details?
- Parking is free. Once you’ve turned into Clearwater Casino & Resort driveway, take the road that leads just to the right of the main building and follow it down to the uncovered lot where you can park to check in at the main hotel where the reception desk will give you more information as there is a time limit to park in the uncovered lot. Once you’ve checked in, head down to the Resort building lobby where you will be greeted by our super pumped volunteers!
What topics will be presented?
- Diabetes burnout
- Men only, women only and T3 only session
- Newest technology and research update from leading companies
- Stay tuned by joining our Facebook group for program updates.
What does the price include?
- Overnight accommodations at the beautiful hotel resort with hot tub, indoor pool, casino
- Saturday lunch, snacks, beverages and dinner
- Sunday breakfast, lunch, beverages
- Keynote address and workshops
- Yoga session (Bring your yoga mat!)
- Vendor fair
Email questions to email@example.com.
Scenes from our First ConnecT1D Retreat in 2016: